• Avoid driving or walking through floodwaters. If you must enter floodwaters, wear solid shoes, not thongs or bare feet, and check the depth and current with a stick
• Stay away from drains, culverts and water that are more than knee-deep
• Floodwaters may contain sewage, take precautions when cleaning up flooded areas.
• Stay away from fallen powerlines – electrical current passes easily through water
• If your car stalls in rising water, abandon it immediately and seek shelter above floodwater
• Be aware that animals may enter your house during a flood, such as spiders and snakes to find a drier area
• Wait for rescuers to come for you, avoid swimming to safety
• If outdoors, climb to high ground and stay there
• Keep listening to a local radio station for information and advice
• Keep in contact with your neighbours where possible
• Be prepared to leave early if required
In the event of major flooding in the municipality, Council will provide recovery information in the Current Emergencies section on our website.
For a flood and storm emergency call VICSES on 132 500.
For life threatening emergency call 000.
For more information on preparing for flood and storms visit the SES website.