Mount Alexander Shire Council logo
Skip Links

Heritage advisory service

Guildford streetscape

Read about our heritage protection and advisory service.

There are more than a thousand heritage places in our Shire which are recognised and protected through Heritage Overlays. See the Heritage Schedule list for more details.

Heritage Places can be buildings, archaeological sites or cultural landscapes. Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Places are protected by different legislation. Please refer to Aboriginal Victoria, for more information on the protection and management of Aboriginal heritage sites.

To check if your property has a Heritage Overlay, order a free Planning Property Report. If you have a property listed on the Heritage Overlay, and are thinking of undertaking works to the property, you may need a planning permit. You will need a planning permit to renovate, alter or subdivide heritage-listed properties, trees, or land. Please refer to the planning scheme for the detailed list of requirements.

Information about applying for a permit can be found here.

We recommend you contact our Heritage and Urban Design Officer before you submit your planning permit application, to discuss your plans and seek advice on the requirements of the Heritage Overlay schedule. You can organise to speak with our Heritage and Urban Design Officer via the following:

1. Return phone call request: contact out Customer Service team who will arrange for our Heritage and Urban Design Officer to give you a call.

2. Face-to-face meeting at the Mount Alexander Shire Council planning counter: contact our Customer Service team who will arrange for a meeting at the planning counter (NOTE: no fee is associated with these meetings).

3. On-site meeting at your property: please fill out this form, and email through to to organise payment ($170.45 including GST). Once payment is received, our Heritage and Urban Design Officer will be in contact with you to arrange a time for this meeting.

Please note that our Heritage and Urban Design Officer will be able to respond to queries and attend any meetings on Wednesdays.

If you would like to organise to attend a meeting with our Heritage and Urban Design Officer, please ensure that you bring along the following information/documents:

- Sketch or concept plans of the proposal (mandatory)
- Certificate of title including any plans, covenant details or Sec 173 Agreement (mandatory)
- Site or survey plan of the subject property
- Other relevant documents (e.g arborist report, site photographs)

Powered by