If your land is 2000 square metres or less you must obtain a permit to burn, unless:
1. The fire is a barbeque or campfire that complies with the Country Fire Authority Act 1958; or
2. An incinerator on any Tuesday and Saturday in compliance with the Country Fire Authority Act 1958.
If your land is more than 2000 square metres you do not require a permit to light a fire in the open air.
Prior to lighting any fire you should ensure:
• Any combustible material is cleared at least 3 metres in all directions from around the fire
• A connected hose or 20 litre container of water is available to ensure the fire does not escape
• An adult or responsible person must be in attendance at all times until the fire is extinguished
• The fire does not create a nuisance to your neighbours or a visibility hazard to road users
• Any offensive, noxious or toxic material is not being burnt
You are required to register your burn off.
Visit the permits page to download the Local Law 3 application form to light an incinerator or fire in the open.