Mount Alexander Shire Council logo
Skip Links


Floods along Forest Creek

Drainage infrastructure

Council is responsible for an extensive drainage network. The drainage network is designed to disperse storm water run-off preventing damage to property and providing safe access to footpaths and roads. Examples of drainage infrastructure include; drainage pits; underground pipes; kerb and channels (concrete and blue stone); road pipes (culverts); and open drains (swales).

Property owners are responsible for the maintenance and removal of any material blocking drainage infrastructure within their driveway. This includes pipes and culverts. Read more about Driveways and nature strips.

Report an issue
In the case of flooding please contact us.
Report maintenance issues or hazards by lodging an online service request or contact us.

Owners' responsibilities

Property owners are responsible for maintaining the stormwater pipes, gutters, downpipes, stormwater pits and any other components of their approved stormwater drainage system within their private property. This includes the stormwater pipe connected to the Council drain (or kerb and channel).It is important that private drainage infrastructure is regularly maintained and cleared of any debris.

Stormwater pipes from private properties must connect into Council’s drainage system at an approved legal point of discharge. To determine where the stormwater drainage and legal point of discharge are located within a property, you can submit a Property Information request to Council.

Storm water drainage and/or Legal Point of Discharge - Property Information Request.
Application fees are listed on the Building Forms and Fees page.

Overland flow

Overland flow or surface runoff occurs when the land is unable to absorb water resulting in a flow to the nearest waterway via natural overflow paths. Overflow paths are typically roads, public reserves, footpaths and can also pass through private property.

Natural overland flow from adjoining properties or public land can present a problem particularly in undulating areas or following a period of heavy rain. If overland flow from public land is a concern please let us know. If the flow originates from neighbouring properties it is likely to be a civil matter, and we encourage you to speak with your neighbours.

Stormwater from developments
If the overland flow is coming from a property under development you need to address your concerns to the Building Surveyor assessing the development. The control of silt and stormwater is a condition on all building permits.

Disputes between neighbours
Issues with stormwater flows between neighbours are generally a civil matter to be resolved between the respective land owners. Property owners should discuss the situation and try to come to a mutually agreeable solution. If a solution cannot be reached, the matter can be referred to the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) for mediation.

Report an issue
In an emergency contact the VICSES. Read more about Emergency Management.
In the case of minor flooding please contact us.
Report maintenance issues or hazards by lodging an online service request or contact us.

Related links

Read about installing or altering a septic tank.
Environment Protection Authority.

Powered by