Mount Alexander Shire Council logo
Skip Links


North Harcourt Road Reconstruction 2020

Council and VicRoads share responsibility for managing roads within Mount Alexander Shire. We manage approximately 1,500km of sealed and unsealed roads as part of our road and bridge network.

Sealed roads

In rural areas, VicRoads maintain the arterial roads and the full width of the road reserve from property line to property line. Generally, all other local sealed roads are managed by Council.

Arterial Roads
Calder Freeway
Castlemaine-Maldon Road
Creswick-Newstead Road
Daylesford-Newstead Road
Maldon-Bendigo Road
Maldon Bridgewater Road
Maldon-Newstead Road
Midland Highway
Old Calder Highway
Pyrenees Highway

Heavy vehicle network maps including roads assessed for heavy vehicle access are on the VicRoads website.
Read about bridge load limits and height clearances within our shire under Bridges.

Council endeavours to keep our roads open at all times however for public safety reasons roads do need to be closed in certain situations. Council publishes planned works and road closures in public notices and media releases.

Report an issue
Local road maintenance issues or hazards by lodging an online service request or contact us.
Arterial road maintenance issues or hazards to VicRoads.

Unsealed roads

Unsealed roads require ongoing maintenance and are regularly inspected, graded and/or resheeted by our Works Unit. High traffic areas require extra maintenance as they deteriorate at an increased rate.

Not all unsealed roads within our shire are managed by Council, as there are also forest roads under State Government ownership.

Raised dust from unsealed roads can be annoying and inconvenient for affected residents and businesses. Read about how you can reduce dust from unsealed roads.

Report an issue
Report maintenance issues or hazards by lodging an online service request or contact us.

Unused road reserves

To purchase or license an unused road reserve adjacent to your property you must submit an application to the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning (DEWLP). Read more about it in the information bulletin.

You may also speak with our Asset Management Coordinator for further details Contact us.

More information

Planning an event and need to know about road closures? Find the information you need in our Event Application Kit.
Find information about parking restrictions and how to pay a fine.

Powered by