Skip Links

Dog and cat registrations

In accordance with the Domestic Animals Act 1994, all dogs and cats over the age of 3 months are required to be microchipped then registered with Council.

The registration of a dog or cat or renewal of such registration remains in force until 10 April of the year following registration renewal. Failure to apply to register a dog or cat can incur an on the spot infringement of $500.00 per animal.

How to register or renew a pet

If you have already registered your pet, you will receive a renewal notice in the mail. Details on how to pay are listed on the form.
Public access to our Customer Service Centre in Castlemaine is closed however we are still continuing to support our community.

Our Customer Service Team is available to support you with any Animal renewal queries and we encourage you to contact us via telephone, email and our online service request system.

• Lodge a service request via our website
• Email us at info@mountalexander.vic.gov.au for a general query
• Email us at covid19@mountalexander.vic.gov.au for a specific query what council is doing to respond to coronavirus.
• Call us on 5471 1700 between 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

Customers can continue to make payments online, by phone, or via BPAY at www.bpay.com.au.

If you have a new pet you need to complete the Animal Registration Application Form (PDF, 786KB) and submit it by email us at: info@mountalexander.vic.gov.au to the Civic Centre on Lyttleton Street, Castlemaine.

You will also need to provide the completed form along with proof of microchip.

If you are applying for a discounted registration fee you also need to provide proof of any one or combination of the following:

- desexed
- over ten years old
- used for breeding by proprietor of Domestic Animal Business
- registered with applicable organisation
- obedience training which complies with the regulations
- kept for working stock
- concession card

The Customer Service team at the Civic Centre can also provide you with a printed copy of an Animal Registration Form via email.

Registration fees

The new registration fee as of 10 April 2020 for a microchipped de-sexed dog or cat is $47.00 or $23.50 for pensioners. The full fee which applies to non-de-sexed animals is $141.00 or $70.50 for pensioners.

With all registrations, Council will waive 50 per cent of the prescribed fee if the owner is an eligible recipient under the State Concessions Act 1986. To be eligible for concession you must provide proof of a current pension card. See concessions and discounts below.


Column A $141.00 Column B $47.00
Any dogs to which a description in Column B does not apply Desexed dogs
Dogs over ten years old
Dogs kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises
Dogs that have undergone obedience training which complies with the regulations
Dogs registered with the Victorian Canine Association or any organisation approved by Council
Dogs kept for working stock


Column A $141.00 Column B $47.00
Any cats to which a description in Column B does not apply Desexed cats
Cats over ten years old
Cats kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises
Cats registered with the Feline Control Council, the governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia, the Democratic Cat Council Inc or any organisation approved by Council
Cats that are permanently identified in the prescribed manner i.e microchip

Owners of dogs are required under the Domestic (Feral & Nuisance) Animals Act 1994, to complete a declaration upon registration of a dog, as to the ownership or non-ownership of a “Restricted Breed Dog

Renewal payment options

A number of payment options are available for your convenience including online, by telephone or in person. Visit our payments page to find out more or make an online payment.

Concessions and discounts

Eligible Pensioner Concession Cards:

A concession fee is available to persons who are holders of current cards listed below: A photocopy/proof of the pension card and the signed "authority to disclose personal information form" (obtained from the Civic Centre) must accompany any claims for concession on animal registrations.

- Pensioner - ( Pensioner Concession Cards) issued by the Commonwealth Government of Australia.
- Persons who are holders of a current state concession card issued by the Department of Health and Community Services.

And to:
Department of Veteran Affairs (Gold Card) Only for:

- TPI - War Pensioners.
- War Widows.

Powered by