Mount Alexander Shire Council logo
Skip Links

Parking and parking fines

Autumn leaves fall from trees onto road.

Information about parking restrictions in Mount Alexander Shire and how to pay a fine.

Parking restrictions

Parking restrictions exist to give people fair access to shops and community facilities, keep emergency areas, clearways and school crossings clear, help the flow of traffic and allow residents to park locally. For more information on parking in Castlemaine central business district and useful parking tips, please read our guide to parking.

Timed parking areas

Map of Castlemaine CBD: Timed Parking Areas

Parking tips

Check parking signs every time you park your car, even if you are familiar with the area. There may be several different restrictions operating in one street. For example in Mostyn Street Castlemaine, the following zones apply:

• Free one hour areas
• 15 minute parking
• Disabled parking bays
• Loading zones
• No stopping areas
• Taxi zone
• Bus zone short

Parking fines

Parking and traffic laws apply to ensure the safe and fair use of Victoria's roads. Specific parking restrictions and the council’s parking permit system help make parking available for both residents and visitors. If you park illegally in the Mount Alexander Shire, you risk being fined. If you do not pay the fine, additional costs will be added.
Parking infringement notices are necessary to regulate and control the use of parking spaces throughout the Mount Alexander Shire.

Failure to pay a parking infringement notice or to take any other action within 28 days may result in further enforcement action and the incurring of further costs.

Parking fines: Frequently asked questions

1. How can I request a review of a parking fine?
You can apply to Council to review your parking fine and Council will assess your application.

2. What are the costs if I don't pay my parking fine?
If you do not pay a fine issued by Council by the due date, and your fine is not being reviewed, then costs are added to the initial fine amount.

3. How can I contest an infringement notice?
You may submit a request for a review of your Infringement Notice in writing. Please post to the address below or email:

Community Safety & Amenity
Mount Alexander Shire Council
PO Box 185, Castlemaine VIC 3450

4. What if I can’t pay my fine?
Payment plan options are available. Contact us to discuss a payment plan.

5. How can I pay my fine?
Payment options include online, credit card and in person.

Report a vehicle/ illegal parking

You can report illegally parked vehicles to Council if you see a vehicle:

• Parked longer in an area than the time limit allows
• On a clearway
• On a school crossing or near a school
• In a no stopping or no parking zone
• Blocking access, such as across a driveway
• In a disabled parking zone, or
• On a nature strip, footpath or centre strip.

Contact us to report illegal parking.

Powered by