Skip Links

Driveways and nature strips

Boy running in new housing estate in McKenzie Hill near Castlemaine.

Vehicle crossovers on driveways

Property owners are required to maintain their vehicle crossover, driveway and drainage infrastructure within their driveway. Any costs to construct, repair or change a vehicle crossover, driveway and drainage infrastructure within the driveway, are also the responsibility of the property owner.

Before constructing or altering a vehicle crossover on a driveway you must have a Minor Works in a Road Reserve Permit. The following documents must be included with your application:

  • A copy of public liability certificate of currency for the contractor carrying out works
  • A copy of a sketch plan showing the proposed work and all assets within the vicinity must be provided. Assets include all trees, road pavement, kerb and channel, footpaths, drains and service authority and private assets.

Relevant permits
Works in road reserves / crossovers – Minor Works in a Road Reserve. For more information lodge an online service request or contact us.

Works within a road reserve

If you intend to excavate, dig, build or change anything within a road reserve you must have a minor works in a road reserve permit beforehand. Works may include but are not limited to:

  • Vehicle crossover construction or alteration
  • Excavations for any works
  • Connection to, or alteration of, the Council drain (legal point of discharge).
  • Depending on the extent of the job you also may be required to provide traffic management.

Contact the relevant utility service provider regarding your water, gas, sewer, phone and electricity infrastructure (above and below ground) within a road reserve.

Relevant permits
Minor Works in a Road Reserve. For more information lodge an online service request or contact us.
Read about permits for other activities within road reserve on our Local Laws page.

Nature strip beautification

Property owners and residents are responsible for maintaining the nature strip or road reserve located between their property boundary and the public road. This includes mowing lawns and pruning overhanging vegetation along the property boundary to provide free and safe passage for pedestrians and clear line of sight for road users.

Read about planting or removing street trees or vegetation on the nature strip in Parks and Gardens.

I have a problem with a street tree.
For requests related to street trees including dangerous trees, pruning, trimming, canopy lifting of trees, fallen limbs from street trees to be removed, watering trees lodge an online service request or contact us.
EXCEPTION – Please report storm damage and trees over roads as a result of wind rain etc immediately as an emergency.

Can Council clean up the leaves I have raked up on my nature strip?
No. Council does not provide a gardening service. Green waste can be deposited at Councils landfill. This product is mulched and used by Council.

I have noxious weeds on my nature strip, what should I do?
In accordance with the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994, it is the responsibility of the owner of the abutting property to control the spread and if need be, remove any noxious weeds on nature strips. If the size and position of such weeds affects either or both of the following: The flow conditions of any drainage in the area; the site distance of motorists on any roads; please contact us.

Powered by