Skip Links


Council is responsible for most of the sealed and gravel roads in our shire. VicRoads, Parks Victoria and the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning (DELWP) also look after certain areas of the road and trail network.

Highways, freeways and arterial roads

Chewton Roadside

In rural areas, VicRoads look after the road and full width of the road reserve from property line to property line.
Contact <https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home > VicRoads to report potholes, drainage issues and other road and road reserve hazards relating to:

•Calder Freeway
•Old Calder Highway
•Midland Highway
•Pyrenees Highway
•Castlemaine Maldon Road
•Maldon Newstead Road
•Maldon Bendigo Road
•Maldon Bridgewater Road
•Creswick Newstead Road
•Daylesford Newstead Road

New load limits for shire bridges

In order to extend the life of the shire’s bridges, load limits were introduced for some bridges across Mount Alexander Shire. The bridges were identified through an independent review.

Load limits came into effect in November 2016. Signs are installed at each bridge. New limits are:

• Baringhup-Havelock Road, Baringhup West – 30 tonnes
• Bendigo Sutton Grange Road, Sutton Grange – 30 tonnes
• Boundary Road, Moolort – 20 tonnes
• Deep Creek Road, Campbelltown – 25 tonnes
• Emberton Station Lane, Barfold – 15 tonnes
• Faraday Sutton Grange Road, Sutton Grange – 30 tonnes
• Fryers Road, Campbells Creek – 20 tonnes
• Fryers Road, Campbells Creek – 25 tonnes
• Fryers Tunnel Hill Road, Fryerstown – 10 tonnes
• High Street, Fryerstown – 20 tonnes
• Maldon-Shelbourne Rd, Nuggetty – 20 tonnes
• Metcalfe East Langley Road, Metcalfe East – 30 tonnes
• Quayles Lane, Sandon – 20 tonnes
• Rilens Road, Muckleford – 25 tonnes
• School Road, Barkers Creek – 30 tonnes
• Sciberras Bridge on Old Drummond Road, Taradale - 4.5 tonnes
• Vaughan Springs Road, Yapeen – 25 tonnes
• Walmer Muckleford Road, Muckleford – 25 tonnes
• Yandoit Sandon Road, Yandoit Hills – 25 tonnes
• Yapeen Muckleford Road, Muckleford South – 25 tonnes

Unsealed, gravel or dirt roads

Shire managed unsealed roads present on-going maintenance difficulties during dry conditions. The works programs scheduled for all shire gravel or dirt roads aim to address the needs of our communities. Not all gravel roads across the shire are managed by Council. There are also forest roads that are managed by State Government.

Raised dust from unsealed roads can be annoying and inconvenient for affected residents and businesses. Read about the options and challenges of reducing dust from dirt roads in the Raised dust on unsealed roads information sheet.

Droving or grazing stock on an unused road reserve

For droving or grazing stock on an unused road reserve, you must apply for, and obtain, a Permit for Droving Livestock or Grazing Livestock.

Permit application forms may be obtained in person at the Civic Centre Office, Castlemaine or by contacting Council Local Laws on 5471 1785. An application fee of $73.00 applies and is payable at the time of application.
Local Laws Permits

For leasing of unused road reserves - application should be made to Council in writing, with details of the location of the road reserve and reasons for the requested lease. Council officers will assess the application and you will be notified of the outcome.


If you have a query regarding road maintenance, or want to report a road that needs maintenance, please call Council on 5471 1700 and provide details.

The information will be forwarded to the Infrastructure Unit for assessment and if required you will be contacted regarding your concerns.

Powered by