Apply for demolition consent

Before you can get a building permit for demolition, you may need to apply for consent.

When is Section 29A consent required?

Under Section 29A of the Building Act 1993, report and consent must be obtained from Council if:

  • all demolitions finished or permitted within three years of the application add up to more than 50% of the entire building, or
  • your proposal includes demolishing any part of the facade of a building.

In some circumstances a planning permit is also required before demolition commences.

How do we decide?

When we receive a Section 29A request, our Planning Services team decide if you need a planning permit as well as demolition consent. If you need a planning permit, our Planning Services team will verify that a planning permit has been issued.

We will approve a Section 29A consent request if:

  • we've issued a planning permit for the demolition, or
  • you don't need a planning permit to demolish.

We will refuse a Section 29A consent request if:

  • you need a planning permit for demolition and no such permit has been issued, or
  • the proposed demolition is different from the extent of demolition approved in the planning permit.

We're unable to issue Section 29A consent if:

  • we're not the responsible authority for the land
  • the Minister for Planning has issued a planning permit
  • the permit was issued under the Heritage Act 1995.

How to apply 

Apply online

Step 1.Confirm that consent is required

We recommend consulting your building surveyor. 

Step 2.Prepare supporting documentation

Along with your application, you will need to attach to the online form:

A copy of Certificate of Title (can be obtained from Landata)

A site plan drawn to scale showing the building, part building or facade (as applicable) to be demolished. 

Step 3.Download the application form

Apply for demolition consent(PDF, 250KB)


There is a non-refundable application fee of $91.40

Payment is required upon submission. You can pay this fee by calling Council on 5471 1700 to make payment over the phone, or pay in person at the Civic Centre, 27 Lyttleton Street, Castlemaine.  


What happens next?

Your application will be allocated to a member of the Planning Services team for assessment. You will be notified of the outcome in writing.