Council elections

Learn about voting and standing for council in the boxes below:

Do you have to vote?


If you are an Australian citizen who lives in Victoria you can check your enrolment details online at Check my details | Victorian Electoral Commission ( at any time.

All council elections are conducted by the VEC and are conducted by postal vote.

How to enroll

Enroll to vote online at or contact the Victorian Electoral Commission on 13 18 32.

Forms are also available from the post office.

The following enrolment forms are made available here for easy access for those who wish to apply to be a council-enrolled voter:

Occupier ratepayer application(PDF, 40KB) - To be used where the property is occupied by an individual who is responsible for payment of the rates (not an owner).  The occupier must not be enrolled as a resident of the municipality on the State electoral roll.

How do I vote in a local Council election?

Mount Alexander Shire Council elections are conducted by postal voting by the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC). All voting information can be found on the VEC website.

Who are your local Councillors?

You can see information on all Councillors at our Meet you Councillor page.

By entering your address into our My Area tool, you can find which Councillor(s) represent you specifically.