Healthy Loddon Campaspe announces new projects in region
Published on 07 September 2023
Healthy Loddon Campaspe (HLC) has announced a wide range of new projects aimed at encouraging physical activity and healthy eating for residents across our region.
HLC is a State Government funded initiative aimed at improving health outcomes in the six Local Government Areas (LGA’s) of the Loddon Campaspe region – City of Greater Bendigo, Campaspe, Central Goldfields, Loddon, Macedon Ranges and Mount Alexander Shires.
Over 30 new projects will be delivered across the region from early September 2023, including multi-LGA projects such as:
- HLC Healthy Schools Projectin four LGA’s, focusing on helping selected schools to provide a supportive environment for physical activity and healthy eating within the school setting.
- An extension of the successful HLC Healthy Sports Clubs Project in three LGA’s, focusing on helping sports clubs to implement small, manageable changes in their food and drink environments to improve access to healthy options.
- Portable StoryWalks in two Shires to encourage children and adults to engage in physical activity while enjoying reading in the outdoors at the same time.
Healthy Loddon Campaspe Coordinator, Alicia O’Brien said HLC is delighted to announce the next round of Activation projects across the region.
“Data from the Active Living Census told us that 62.5% of Loddon Campaspe residents are overweight or obese, and only 13% of adults and 14% of children meet the daily vegetable consumption guidelines,” Ms O’Brien said.
“The new round of Activation projects, which are place-based and designed with local stakeholders, focus on addressing these statistics by encouraging and enabling healthy eating and physical activity.”
“In addition to the multi-LGA projects planned, we’re also excited to see the implementation of a number of innovative new projects in the region such as the Active Footpaths Project in Loddon Shire, and the Verge Gardening Project in Macedon Ranges Shire.”
Project planning is already underway and more information about the full list of next round of HLC activation projects is available on the HLC website at www.healthyloddoncampaspe.au
The following Healthy Loddon Campaspe projects will take place in Mount Alexander Shire as part of the next round:
- Healthy Flexible Learning Options Program
- Healthy Schools Project
- Food Links Mount Alexander
- Drinking Water Partnership Project
For more information on Healthy Loddon Campaspe, visit www.mountalexander.vic.gov.au/Community-and-Wellbeing/Healthy-living/Healthy-Loddon-Campaspe or contact Health Broker, Simone Hooppell on email@example.com.