Guide for new residents
Welcome to Mount Alexander Shire. If you are thinking about moving, or have already moved here, this page will point you to a huge range of useful information that will help you get settled.
You can also watch the film below to find out from locals why people are making the move to Mount Alexander Shire – one of Regional Victoria's best places to live, work and invest.
- The estimated population of Mount Alexander Shire is 20,001.
- There are 11,536 rateable properties.
- More than one in five residents are aged 65 years or over.
- Children up to 14 years make up about 16 per cent of the population, compared to a state average of 18.6 per cent.
- Local businesses employ 60 per cent of workers living in Mount Alexander Shire.
- About 71 per cent of jobs in Mount Alexander Shire are held by people living in the shire.
- About 11 per cent of residents were born overseas.
- Less than 3 per cent speak a language other than English at home.
- Around one third of households have children.
- Our population is expected to increase by 25 per cent by 2031.
About our shire and Council
Home and property
Don't forget to try our permit finder, for everything from burning off to building works around your home.
Festivals, events and attractions
There’s so much to see and do in Mount Alexander Shire. Visit our tourism website, Castlemaine, Maldon and Surrounds, for local attractions and a calendar of events.