We have developed a handy brochure to help you get to (and around) the shire.
You can collect a hard copy from the Civic Centre at Castlemaine, Maldon Neighbourhood Centre or Castlemaine Community House.
The Melbourne-Bendigo train line passes through the shire. All services stop at Castlemaine Station.
If you’re a Victorian senior, you may be eligible for a free myki card and 50 per cent discount on travel.
The following V/Line bus services operate in the Shire:
- Ballarat – Bendigo (via Baringhup, Maldon, Newstead, Castlemaine, Harcourt)
- Daylesford - Melbourne (via Castlemaine)
- Kyneton – Bendigo (via Taradale, Elphinstone, Chewton, Castlemaine, Harcourt)
- Maryborough – Melbourne (via Castlemaine, Guildford, Strangways, Newstead)
- Mildura – Ballarat (via Harcourt, Castlemaine, Guildford, Maldon, Welshmans Reef, Newstead)
The following local bus services operate in the shire:
- Castlemaine - Campbells Creek (Route 1)
- Castlemaine Town Loop (Route 2)
- Castlemaine - Harcourt (Route 3)
- Castlemaine - Maldon (Route 4)
- Castlemaine - Taradale via Chewton (Route 5)
- Castlemaine - Chewton via Loddon Prison (Route 6) – weekends only
- Kyneton - Taradale - Castlemaine – Bendigo
- Ballarat - Bendigo via Maryborough and Castlemaine
Castlemaine Taxis provide taxi services throughout the Shire. They also provide a Sunday Bus service between Maldon and Castlemaine. This service is free if you have a valid V/Line ticket, or otherwise charged at bus fare prices.
For information and bookings call 131 008
The Multi-purpose Taxi Program (MPTP)
This service provides accessible transport for people with a severe disability.
For information on eligibility and bookings contact the Taxi Services Commission on 1800 638 802
Newstead and District Community Bus
The Newstead Rural Transaction Centre (RTC) runs a community transport service to Castlemaine and Maryborough. It is available to for residents of:
All trips must be booked in advance by calling the RTC. The bus is also available for charter.
For information and bookings contact Newstead RTC on 5476 2360
Baringhup and Maldon Community Bus
Maldon Neighbourhood Centre provides a bus for charter for community organisations. Rates are affordable for community groups.
Community wellbeing bus
Council has a new Community Wellbeing Bus, named ‘Peggy’. Peggy helps those who don’t have access to transport get to aquatic, wellness and exercise facilities in the area. The bus is the first wheelchair accessible bus for the Mount Alexander Shire Council.
Peggy picks up people from their home in the local area and takes them to the Gurri Wanyarra Wellbeing Centre in Kangaroo Flat. It's an ideal place for the community to get active!
Castlemaine Health provides free transport to and from medical appointments outside the shire. Speak to your GP for more information and a referral.
Maldon Hospital provides accessible transport to see doctors at the Maldon Medical Clinic. This service runs on the First and Third Tuesday of each month. The cost for this service is a gold coin donation. For information and bookings contact Maldon Medical Clinic on 5475 2366
The Victorian Goldfields Railway offers a historic tourist train ride experience between Castlemaine, Muckleford and Maldon on Wednesdays and Sundays. For information and bookings visit www.vgr.com.au or call 5470 6658.
Visit our tourism site for more great things to see and do.