Rates objections and queries

Do you think your rates are incorrect, or your property valuation too high?

You can submit an objection to a valuation shown on your council valuation and your rates notice at the Victorian Government's online portal.


When can I lodge an objection?

You have two months from when Council issued your annual rates notice to lodge an objection. 

Grounds for an objection

The grounds for objection are:

  • The value is too high or too low
  • The values or interests are not apportioned correctly
  • The lands have not been combined or separated correctly
  • The person named on the notice is not liable
  • The area, dimensions or description are incorrect. 

Where can I get information to help me with my objection?

Property sales information may be purchased from the DSE Landata Customer Service by calling (03) 8636 2456.

Alternatively you may collect sales information from auction results published in the press or from local real estate agents. 

The objection assessment process

When an objection is lodged with Council, it is referred to the Valuer for consideration.

The Valuer then must provide a reasonable opportunity for the objector to discuss the matter. Within two (2) months after receiving the objection notice, the Valuer has the option to:

(a) Disagree with the objection, whereby no adjustment to the valuation is considered justified and a written notice of disallowance is provided to the objector; or
(b) Agree that an adjustment to the valuation is justified and provide a notice recommending an appropriate adjustment to the objector, the Council and the Valuer-General Victoria (VGV).

Following option (a) (disallowance), the objector and the Council are notified directly. No action from VGV is required. Following option (b) (an adjustment is recommended), VGV has two (2) months after receiving this notice of recommendation to either agree or disagree with the adjustment to the valuation as recommended by the Valuer.

If the Valuer General agrees that the adjustment is justified, a confirmation notice is sent to the rating authority, objector, and Valuer, or if the VGV disagrees with the adjustment made a notice of disallowance is sent to all parties. 


If an objector is dissatisfied with the objection outcome, they can apply directly to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal VCAT to review the matter.

The Valuation of Land Act 1960 can be viewed at legislation.vic.gov.au



Quick links

Paying your rates
What your rates pay for
How rates are calculated
Rates information
Change your address or details
Hardship and assistance