Works within a road reserve

A road reserve is the public land from outside the property boundary and generally consists of a nature strip (or roadside), drains, verge, road shoulder and roadway. Common works conducted on a road reserve are:

  • Vehicle crossings and driveways
  • Sewerage extensions
  • Water tapping

When works are to be conducted within a road reserve, you must apply for a permit with Council or get consent by VicRoads.

To find out if your road is managed by VicRoads see below.

If your road is listed above you need to find out how to get consent from VicRoads.

If it not listed please proceed below.

Works within the road reserve permit process

Email or in person

Step 1.Prepare your documentation

Make sure you have the following details and documentation ready for your application:

  • Contractor's details
  • Copy of public liability insurance for the contractor carrying out the works to cover a minimum of $10 million for any one claim
  • A sketch plan showing the proposed work and Council assets within the vicinity. Assets include trees, road pavement, kerb and channel, footpaths, drains and services and private assets

Step 2.Provide a traffic management plan

For works within a road reserve, a traffic management plan must be drawn up by an accredited traffic controller if works:

  • Impact traffic
  • Block a road
  • Require roadwork signs on the road.

Please attach the traffic management plan to your Works in a road reserve application (step 3).

Step 4.Submit your application

Apply by email or in person.

Email it to or bring it into our Customer Service Counter at:

Corner Lyttleton and Lloyd Streets
Castlemaine, Victoria 3450

Step 5.Book a pre-works inspection

Once you receive your permit (along with Councils requirements), you can begin with your permitted works.

If you are required to have a pre-works inspection this can be booked by contacting the Engineering Department on 03 5471 1700

Step 6.Book a final inspection

You are required to book a final inspection by contacting the Engineering Department on 03 5471 1700.

A Council officer will conduct an inspection to ensure reinstatement has been done correctly.