At Council, we manage an extensive drainage network. It disperses storm water run-off, protecting property and keeping footpaths and roads accessible.


  • Drainage pits
  • Underground pipes
  • Kerb and channels (concrete and blue stone)
  • Road pipes (culverts)
  • Open drains (swales)

You are responsible for maintaining any drainage infrastructure within your driveway. This includes pipes and culverts. Read more about this on our Driveways and nature strips page.

Report a drainage issue

In an emergency contact the SES. Read more on our Emergencies and preparation page.

Owner responsibilities

Property owners are responsible for maintaining:

  • stormwater pipes
  • gutters
  • downpipes
  • stormwater pits
  • any other components of their approved stormwater drainage system.

This includes the stormwater pipe connected to the Council drain (or kerb and channel). It is important that you maintain your drainage and you keep it clear of any debris.

Pipes from private properties must connect to Council’s drainage system at an 'approved legal point of discharge'.

To find out where the legal points of discharge are on your property, you can submit a request using the form below. 

Click here to view form.

Fees for property information:

Information request Fee
General property information – per certificate $48.80
Stormwater drainage – legal point of discharge  $149.40 


Overland flow or surface runoff

This occurs when the land is unable to absorb enough water. This results in water flowing to the nearest waterway via natural overflow paths. These tend to be roads, public reserves and footpaths. This may mean passing through private property.

Overland flow between properties or public land can present a problem. If overland flow from public land is a concern please let us know.

If the flow originates from a neighbour, it is likely to be a civil matter. We encourage you to speak with your neighbours.

Disputes between neighbours

Disagreements between neighbours about water flow are generally a civil matter. If you are in disagreement with a neighbour, discuss the situation with them. Try to come to a mutually agreeable solution. If you cannot reach an agreement, you can refer the matter to the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) for mediation.

Stormwater from developments

If the overland flow is coming from a property under development you should speak with to the development's Building Surveyor. The control of silt and stormwater is a condition of all building permits.