Reporting child abuse

We all have a role to play in keeping children and young people safe from harm and abuse.  If you suspect or know a child or young person is being harmed or abused, you must report it.

  • If you believe a child or young person is in immediate danger, call 000 (triple zero) and ask for the Police
  • If you are concerned about the safety of a child or young person, call the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing - Child Protection North Division on 1300 664 977 during business hours or the Child Protection Emergency Service on 13 12 78 after hours

If you are concerned about the conduct of an employee, volunteer or contractor of Mount Alexander Shire Council towards a child or young person, you must report it:

Alternative contact methods:

You can also contact the Commission for Children and Young People on 1300 78 29 78 or through email at

Mount Alexander Shire Council can also provide support if you have concerns about the safety and wellbeing of a child or young person and you do not know who else to contact.

We have processes in place to ensure any report of child safety concerns are listened to, treated seriously and responded to quickly.

Contact our Customer Services team on (03) 5471 1700 and ask to be put through to a Child Safe Officer or email

All reports will be treated confidentially.